In high school, Chris was quickly inspired by the legal profession. A few years later, he completed his Bachelors at North Carolina State University and his law degree from Vanderbilt University.
Now as a lawyer at Morris, Manning, & Martin, he protects startups in #FinTech, #IOT, and #HealthTech through Seed and Series rounds and mergers and acquisitions.
Feel free to share with a #startup / #founder / #business
Chris Gilmore is a corporate attorney with Morris, Manning and Martin LLP where he focuses his practice on the representation of companies and investors in the virtual capital, private equity, and merger, and requisition. Transactions in a technology field.
His clients range from startups raising a seed round to major capital firms providing series A and B funding to providing equity and Certegy buyers.
He received a bachelor in political science with the minor in accounting in North Caroline state University and his Juris Doctor (J. D.) from Vanderbilt University law school.
Roshawnna and Chris discuss:
- [1:56] Chris shares the story of his beginnings as a corporate attorney.
- [2:55] Chris explains why he choose law even as someone that came from Atlanta.
- [3:47] he described the connection between political science and the startup community.
- [4:35] He shared his experiences that made him interested in startups.
- [6:37] He vividly explained the kind of deals that are very popular in Atlanta.
- [7:52] He explained what a startup entrepreneur should expect in engagement with an attorney.
- [9:58] He explained what a capitalization table is and characteristics of a clean capitalization table.
- [13:23] If you have all paperwork in order, he supported the act of giving equity in exchange for services.
- [15:32] In a situation whereby there is an issue with a bad cap table, he gave instances on how to tidy it up.
- [18:25] He told a story about situation, where you could really say that you are doing what you are meant to do.
- [20:47] He analyzed his mentors and how they helped him up in his career and a story behind it all.
- [25:25] As an experienced attorney, he explained what an investor should expect from an attorney.
- [28:50] He described what an entrepreneur-friendly term means.
- [33:11] Some investors use alternative contracts, he explained how it could be and its terms and condition.
- [35:16] Startups make several mistakes, and he pinpointed these mistakes.
- [38:16] He talked about the best advice that he has ever received.
- [39:17] He shared personal habits that contributed to his success.
- [40:30] He recommended a book that will help and stated his reasons.
- [41:44] He explained how he balanced work and lifestyle and his weekly schedule.
- [44:00] He talked about spending his free times.
- [46:12] He answered a very tactical question.
Chris Gilmore is a corporate attorney with Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP where he focuses his practice on representation of companies and investors in venture capital, private equity, and merger & acquisition transactions in the technology field.
His clients range from startups raising a seed round, to venture capital firms providing Series A and B funding, to private equity and strategic buyers purchasing platform and rollup companies. He received a Bachelors in Political Science with a Minor in accounting from North Carolina State University and his JD from Vanderbilt University Law School. Lastly, Chris is a native of Atlanta and active in the startup and community service communities of Atlanta.