Subscribe, Rate & Review
Deen took a standardized test as a kid which recommended that he become a venture capitalist. As a youth, he started a successful eBay business after he paid his grandmother to buy him goods on her various overseas vacations.
While at Howard University, he continued to excel in entrepreneurship throughout his tenure. In fact, his efforts helped his fraternity reach new heights in their fundraising goals.
After meeting the perfect investor for his company in a casino in Las Vegas, he knew that it was time to move into running the company full time. Although he's still near the beginning of growing this current venture, the sky is the limit for this millennial entrepreneur.
HOW WE MET:
Deen and I met on Instagram. I have met so many interesting people from interactions on the platform. He learned about Startup Funding from my profile. He sent a DM and asked how he could be involved with the movement. I was instantly impressed and asked him to be a guest on Startup Funding.
Every successful entrepreneur is able to recognize a problem that is in need of a solution. After a traumatic experience, Deen Wright recognized that students were in need of a safe network to in which to buy and sell their goods. This recognition led to the creation of the mobile app, Base, an acronym for Buy and Sell Everything.
With Base Deen and his team have tapped in to the pulse of the student experience. Tight budgets lead to a need for a digital marketplace on campus, but Base takes the experience a step further by doubling as a social network that partners with party promoters to ensure that base is active within the student community.
Deen’s story is an inspiration and, like all entrepreneurs, his journey has not been without ups and downs. In this entertaining conversation with Roshawnna, Deen shares some of the learnings that he’s developed along the way. This is a great listen!
Roshawnna and Deen discuss:
- 2:00 – Deen talks about his background and the describes his company, Base.
- 4:30 – Deen discusses what aspects of Base excite him right now.
- 5:30 – Deen outlines what makes Base unique.
- 7:00 – How a traumatic experience in Deen’s life led to the inspiration for Base.
- 9:00 – Deen talks about how he knows that he was meant to be an entrepreneur.
- 16:00 – Deen talks about the value of mentorship in his life.
- 21:00 – Deen discusses the importance of team building and relays how he built his team for Base.
- 23:30 – Deen discusses how he has been able to create revenue streams for Base.
- 25:00 – Deen talks about how he has been able to spread the word about Base to a wide range of college campuses.
- 32:00 – Deen talks about some his life habits that have helped him to become a success.
- 33:00 – Deen talks about the qualities that a startup team must have to gain funding.
- 39:30 – Deen speaks to how he creates a healthy work/life balance.
- 46:30 – Some words of wisdom from Deen for potential entrepreneurs.
Deen Wright is thriving at the intersection of vision and action. His tenacity, innovation and energy has allowed him to excel in his undergraduate studies and are now propelling him in his endeavors as CEO and Co-Founder of Bridge LLC. Last year, Deen left a management development program with an industrial supply company to co-found Bridge LLC, along with two fellow Howard grads. The company is dedicated to providing a bridge between your problems and solutions. This year the company took a major step in that direction by launching the app, BASE: Buy And Sell Everything. The app gives college students a safe platform to buy, sell and request goods and services from each other, and aims to revolutionize the current e-commerce market. After only 1 month of going live, BASE was featured on ABC7 News and helped one student earn $700.
Deen credits his world traveling experience and networks at Howard for fostering his entrepreneurial spirit. As a Finance major and Legacy Scholar, he successfully juggled being a student athlete and campus leader. Despite his Finance background, Deen has self-taught himself how to design and build mobile app prototypes and has began consulting and helping other entrepreneurs make the leap from idea to product in the app world. At the end of the day, Deen's true passions are helping others and watching something grow from a seed to tree.